The EPSON SureColor S30670 is scheduled to ship and ready for sale this month. The new 64-inch, four-color solvent printer turned heads at the recent International Sign Expo for its combination of production speed and output quality.
Epson’s product manager, Reed Hecht, says the new printer is not being sold as a replacement for the Epson Stylus Pro GS6000. “We’re keeping the printers in the market together because we see applications for those who require the wider color gamut that can hit very specific spot colors with the GS6000, and those who want more production while producing high-quality prints,” says Hecht.
“It’s the most cost-effective and reliable printer that utilizes the newest technology at an entry-level solvent printer price. It changes the way you look at an entry-level solvent printer,” adds Hecht.
That new technology is Epson’s MicroPiezo TFP printhead, designed to deliver droplet sizes as small as 4.2 picoliters while doubling the nozzle density of the GS6000. The inks are Epson’s new UltraChrome GS2 solvent-based inks in four colors (CMYK), including a newly formulated yellow ink that Epson says based on initial testing can produce prints with up to three years of outdoor durability without lamination.
Prints dry immediately, according to LexJet product manager Alex Ried, who notes a drying mechanism that takes the pain out of waiting for prints to dry. Ried says he’s excited about the opportunity to provide the new Epson solvent printer to the various wide format print markets served by LexJet.
Billed as low solvent, Epson says the inks provide virtually odorless printing without the need for external dryers, special ventilation or air purification systems, and do not contain Nickel compounds, thereby reducing the printer’s environmental impact.
Speaking of that impact, Epson has also engineered the printer to use less energy. Energy Star certified, the SureColor S30670 uses about 650 Watts or less energy when operating, which is almost a quarter of other comparable printers, says Epson. Moreover, it uses standard 110V power outlets so there’s no need to bring an electrician in to install 220V outlets.
Other important features to keep in mind when evaluating this printer include:
- Print speed: Epson bills the print speed at 619 feet per hour in draft mode with a recommended production speed of 205 square feet per hour for normal signage production
- Reel system: The take-up reel is designed for unattended production of large print runs, supporting both wind-in and wind-out; a standard motorized heavy roll support system in the rear that will support up to a 90-pound roll; and an optional high-capacity roll support available for rolls up to 150 pounds
- Roll media loading: A new spindleless design with a manual EPSON LiftAssist allows for easy loading and unloading of heavy roll media
- High capacity ink system: Individual cartridges up to 700 ml enable users to avoid production downtimes and maximize profitability
- Media versatility: EPSON UltraChrome GS2 ink works on virtually all standard coated or uncoated solvent media, including adhesive-backed vinyl and banner media. It also prints on solvent-compatible canvas for fine art printing
The list price for the EPSON SureColor S30670 is $16,995, and is expected to be available for purchase at LexJet this month. For more information, and to pre-order your printer, contact a LexJet customer specialist at 800-453-9538.